Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Delaware More Info
Welcome to the Town of Kenton
Date Posted: Thursday, September 4th, 2014
The Village of Kenton is a crossroads community located at the intersection of Route 42 and Route 300 in Kenton Hundred Delaware. Kenton was first laid out in 1796 by Philip Lewis who had begun to acquire property in the area five years before in 1791. The community was first known as Grogtown, then as Lewis Crossroads and finally, in 1806, by the name of Kenton. The village dates from the last decade of the 18th century, but did not achieve its peak until the last half of the 19th century when the Philadelphia (Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad) (Delaware and Maryland Railroad) line was put through from Clayton to Maryland.
The Kenton Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983. Other sites at or near Kenton on the National Register of Historic Places are the: George Arnold House, Aspendale, Thomas Attix House, J. F. Betz House, Benjamin Blackiston House, W. D. Burrows House, Cheney Clow|Scene of Cheyney Clow’s Rebellion, Clark-Pratt House, Cooper House (Kenton, Delaware)|Cooper House, Thomas Davis House, N. C. Downs House, T.H. Denny House, Green Mansion House, Robert Hill House, Hoffecker-Lockwood House, Alfred L. Hudson House, Kenton Post Office, Thomas Lamb Farm, Thomas Lamb House, Jefferson Lewis House, Delaplane McDaniel House, Poinsett House, Somerville, William Stevens House, James Williams House, and Wright-Carry House.
Tags: Delaware, Grogtown, Kenton, Lewis Crossroads, Philip Lewis, Town of Kenton, Village of Kenton, Welcome